If you are traveling to Cancun visiting Mercado 28 will give you a unique kind of experience. Market 28 an outdoor marketplace consisting of more than 100 shops and is in the center of downtown Cancun and about 30 minutes from the hotel zone, Cancun. A market full of ceramics, leather goods, painted and handmade dresses, straw bags, precious Mexican hats, tequilas, handpainted colorful T-shirts, magnets, peppers, and silver and esquisite jewelry.
It is unique because you just do not go there and buy things at a fixed price but buy with your bargaining skills. For people from western countries, it seems and sounds a bit strange but that is the way things work here and that is one fun part of visiting Mercado 28. A burst of color everywhere with Mexico's local and beautiful handmade pieces, this marketplace is esthetically enchanting as well. It's a wonderful place to spend an afternoon experiencing buying and looking.
A few tips
- It's a one-stop place to buy souvenirs. You just don't go and buy but check a few similar shops. There are always more options for one thing and in fact at a lesser price.
- Bargain-bargain, don't give what the seller asks for, do negotiate always even though it's not the exact amount how much you negotiate.
- Here prices are pretty affordable and reasonable compare to any other souvenir place.
- Always carry cash with you as the vendors don’t accept credit or debit cards. In case you run out of cash there is an ATM very close by.
- It's a walk through an outdoor market, you need to walk a lot and wear comfortable shoes and a weather-appropriate outfit as it gets very hot.