Cool things to do in Majuli
1. Satras - Visit the Satras and experience the socio-cultural institution of Assam and the institution of Art, Music and culture pioneer of the neo-vaishnavite movement and experience the abundant spirituality.
A. If you get a chance, enjoy Satriya dance in the Satras, the classical dance form of Assam.
B. Visit the award-winning mask making in Samaguri Satra where the mythological characters get alive in the hands of artists.
C. Visit the museum of Auniati Satra; however, you are not allowed to take pictures yet get mesmerized by a collection of art from the history.
2. Food - Majuli does not have typical restaurant cultural. Depending on where you stay, you will ultimately get a chance to indulge in local assamese cuisine. Mild yet delectably cooked assamese food.
3. Wear a Mekhla Chadar- It is not mandatory to wear the traditional outfit in Majuli. When you visit Satras, you see most people in their traditional attire. You can enjoy wearing mekhela chadar and amalgamate with local people.
4. Nature - After all, Majuli is a natural enigma with numerous wetlands, an abundance of rare birds, blooming mustard fields, squeaky bridges and the tribal huts in the horizon. Personally, I enjoyed the sunset in Majuli. It's magical and ethereal how the sun sets the day in this mystical place with the golden glory.
5. Culture - Last but not the least experience the diverse culture. Majuli is a land of unity in diversity with different community like Mishing tribe, Kosari to Deori community.
6. Shopping - Shopping in Majuli is entirely different experience than a typical touristy place, yet you have plenty of things to collect.
1. You can buy pottery and mask wholly different from a regular mask. It's associated with mythology.
2. Majuli is known for small handicrafts, to be precise a part of the population survive on a craft. You can buy handcrafted lamps, shoes, and bags, etc.
3. Unlike handcraft, handloom is also something that provides bread and butter to one of the population. Colorful and vivid designs are something you want to buy weather on a traditional Assamese mekhela chadar or scarf or vest etc all in the indigenous fabric.
4. I don't know whether you consider it on your shopping spree, but Majuli is undoubtedly one fertile land. Local grown veggies and fruits or locally produce oil or jaggery is something you can definitely considering to buy.
In the whirlpool of time, Majuli has not lost its aura and ethereal charm. Majuli is a true witness of human creativity and perseverance after many natural disasters, yet it not only survives but crusades. Majuli is a spirit and a hope that nothing can take away. Do visit Majuli and lose yourself in the old world charm and yet find yourself again.
Majuli - rhythmic rejuvenate retreat part 1